RECOGNITION OF FOREIGN HALAL CERTIFICATION BODIES ( FHCB )
- Department of Islamic Development Malaysia ( JAKIM ) is the agency responsible for the Islamic affairs including halal certification in Malaysia. Therefore, JAKIM plays very important role to protect Muslim consumers in Malaysia and it is always been JAKIM’s responsibility to assure them to seek for halal products as urged by Shariah.
- For the purpose of halal certification, JAKIM has to ascertain the halal status of the product at every stage and at every process involved by carrying out an official site inspection on the plants purposely to examine on how the halal status of the raw material is maintained and monitored at all times.
- Based on these reason, nevertheless, JAKIM requires a reputable and credible foreign halal certification bodies as JAKIM representatives to monitor/verify the halal status of these raw materials and products with responsibility and integrity.
- The recognition is based on the capability of the foreign halal certification bodies that comply with the Malaysian procedures & guidelines.
VALIDITY OF THE RECOGNITION
- The validity of the appointment is for two ( 2 ) years.
- The appointed FHCB shall be listed on JAKIM’s website as the Recognised Foreign Halal Certification Bodies.
- The FHCB shall submit annual report to JAKIM.
- JAKIM shall carry out the review audit after the expiration of the appointment period.
THE IMPORTATION OF HALAL MEAT
- All meat and meat based products ( including poultry ) intended to be imported to Malaysia must be halal certified by the recognized Foreign Halal Certification Bodies. Also, the plants must be inspected and approved by JAKIM & Department of Veterinary Services ( DVS ) which shall in compliance with The Malaysian Protocol for Halal Meat and Poultry Productions and MS 1500 : 2009.
TRADE DESCRIPTIONS (CERTIFICATION AND MARKING OF HALAL ) ORDER 2011
- As stated in Para 5 ( 1 ) & ( 2 ) Certification of description of halal for imported food and goods:
(1) All imported food and goods marketed in Malaysia shall not be described as halal unless the imported food and goods comply with the requirements or certified as halal by the foreign halal certification body recognized by JAKIM.
(2) The importer or manufacturer of the food and goods which have been certified as halal by the foreign halal certification body recognized by JAKIM shall mark on the said food and goods, the name of the said certification body.
Please click icon above to download the Recognized Foreign Halal Certification Body List